Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksBrief History

Established in 1921 bearing the name of Electrical Office under the auspicious of the Public Works Department, the Department of Electrical Services provided electricity power to its first consumer, the Wireless and Telegraf Department.

In 1934, the scheme to supply electricity power to houses of senior government officers and rice factory in Brunei town commenced.

A year later, a 22 kilowatt and 75 kilowatt diesel-powered generator started its operations and in 1953, the Electrical Office was changed to the Department of Electrical Services when it started to supply power to the whole of Brunei town.

The department continued to generate the development of the country and in 1959, it added two diesel-powered generators, each capable of providing 884 kilowatts at the Gadong Power Station. The gas turbine power station started its operations six years later. Seven years later, the 66,000 KV from Seria to Bandar Seri Begawan started its operations.

In 1966, the Temburong Diesel-Powered Power Station started its operations.

In 1967 the Seria Gas Turbine Power Station started its operations. In the same year, the 66 and 100 KV line from Seria to Bandar Seri Begawan started its operations.

The Department of Electrical Services was administered under the auspicious of the Ministry of Development in 1984.

In 1986, the Lumut Turbine Gas Power Station was completed.

In 1995, the Gadong Gas Turbine Power Station was completed.